Introduction The Commission of Inquiry was announced on 4 February 2022. This Inquiry will examine into the reasons and circumstances leading to Mr Ian McGrail ceasing to be Commissioner of…
This is the official website of the Inquiry into the reasons and circumstances leading to Mr Ian McGrail ceasing to be Commissioner of Police in June 2020 by taking early retirement. The Commissioner is to inquire, as he shall in his absolute discretion consider appropriate, into such matters, ascertain the facts and report to the Government.
The Inquiry was set up by His Excellency Vice Admiral Sir David Steel KBE, DL, Governor, for the Government, at the request of the Chief Minister on the 4 February 2022.
Sir Charles Peter Lawford Openshaw, DL is the Commissioner of the Inquiry. Sir Charles was called to the bar by the Inner Temple in 1970. On 9 April 1991, he was appointed a Queen’s Counsel.On 16 March 1999, he was appointed a Circuit Judge. He was appointed the Honorary Recorder of Preston in 1999 and served for seven years. In September 2005, he was appointed as a High Court Judge and assigned to the Queen’s Bench Division. By statute, he retired as a full time judge in 2017, but remains authorised to sit as a High Court Judge, and as an additional judge of the Court of Appeal , as and when required to do so.
The Inquiry will be making announcements from time to time in respect of the progress of its work and the hearings it will hold. Key documents, press releases, notices and forms are available on this site. Persons having any questions in relation to the work of the Inquiry should contact the Secretary at the address below.
To view the Inquiry’s ‘Issue of Commission’ click here.
News & Hearing Dates
Inquiry Protocol relating to Legal Representation at Public Expense This Protocol outlines the circumstances in which the Chairman of the Inquiry maymake recommendations under Section 13 of the Commissions of…
- Press Releases & Notices
- Reports & Rulings
- List of Issues & Protocols/Policies
- Submissions & Factual Statements
- Public Bundles
- First Press Notice: Commission of Inquiry Update: Preliminary hearing – 19 May 2022
- Second Press Notice: Second Preliminary Hearing Rescheduled – 13 September 2022
- Third Press Release Notice: Third Preliminary Hearing Vacated – 18 October 2022
- Fourth Press Notice: Suspected Data Breach – 6 December 2022
- Fifth Press Notice: Impact of Data Breach on Inquiry Hearing – 22 December 2022
- Sixth Press Notice – Main Hearing and Third Preliminary Hearing – 17 January 2023
Public Call for Evidence
- Decision on Funding – McGrail – 23 May 2022 (updated 1 June 2022)
- Amended Ruling on Open Justice and Recommendations– 25 August 2022
- Ruling on Applications for Core Participant Status by RGP, GPF & Mr Richardson – 20 October 2022
- Ruling on Application for Core Participant Status by HMGOG – 25 October 2022
- Decision on Funding – Cornelio Perez Sanchez– 28 October 2022
- Directions following First Preliminary Hearing – 25 August 2022 (amended 08.09.2022)
- Ruling on Composition of the Inquiry Team – 8 February 2023
- Ruling on Application for Core Participant Status by Perez, Cornelio, & Sanchez– 1 March 2023
List of Issues
Protocols & Policies
First Preliminary Hearing:
- McGrail Submissions for First Preliminary Hearing – 20 June 2022 – Redacted
- McGrail Written Submissions – 6 July 2022
- Government Parties’ Written Submissions – 8 July 2022 – Redacted
- Government Parties’ Responsive Submissions – 18 July 2022
- McGrail Responsive Written Submissions – 20 July 2022 – Redacted
Second Preliminary Hearing:
- McGrail Further Written Submissions – 24 August 2022 – Redacted
- Government Parties’ Written Submissions – 24 August 2022
- GPA Submissions for Second Preliminary Hearing – 8 September 2022
- McGrail Submissions for Second Preliminary Hearing – 9 September 2022 – Redacted
- Government Parties’ Submissions for Second Preliminary Hearing – 9 September 2022 – Redacted
- Counsel to the Inquiry Submissions for Second Preliminary Hearing – 15 September 2022
- McGrail Responsive Submissions for Second Preliminary Hearing – 15 September 2022
- Government Parties’ Responsive Submissions for Second Preliminary Hearing – 15 September 2022 – Redacted
Third Preliminary Hearing:
- McGrail Submissions for Third Preliminary Hearing – 2 February 2023 – Redacted
- CTI Submissions for Third Preliminary Hearing – 6 February 2023 – Redacted
- Mr Richardson Submissions for Third Preliminary Hearing – 7 February 2023
- Government Parties Submissions for Third Preliminary Hearing – 7 February 2023
Public Bundle for Second Preliminary Hearing – 20 September 2022
- 000 Index – Public Bundle 2nd PH – DRAFT (03) (15.09.22)
- 001. Agenda Second PH 14.09.22 – amended
- 002. A&L L C. Gomez 2.9.22
- 003. A&L L P.Caruana 2.9.22
- 004. A&L L TSN 2.9.22
- 005. Directions Timetable following FPH 2
- 006. Amended Ruling – 25 August 2022
- 007. Directions-following-First-Preliminary-Hearing-25-August-2022-amended-08.09.22
- 008. Appropriate Policy Document DRAFT FOR PUBLICATION 27.07.22
- 009. Core Participants Policy DRAFT FOR PUBLICATION 27.07.220
- 010. Privacy Notice DRAFT FOR PUBLICATION 27.07.22
- 011. Documents Policy DRAFT FOR PUBLICATION 27.07.22
- 012. Vulnerable Witnesses and Restrictions on Public Access DRAFT FOR PUBLICATION 27.07.22
- 013. Provisional list of issues 27.07.22 DRAFT FOR PUBLICATION
- 014. 2022 06 20 McGrail Submissions for preliminary hearing – REDACTED
- 015. 2022 07 06 McGrail Submissions on Following First PH – REDACTED
- 016. 2022 07 08 Government Parties Written Submissions – REDACTED
- 017. 2022 07 18 Government Parties – Further Written Submissions
- 018. 2022 07 20 McGrail Submissions in reply – REDACTED
What is a Commission of Inquiry?
A Commission of Inquiry is an independent investigation in response to matters of significant concern. This is established by the Governor for the Government at the request of the Chief Minister. It is typically led by an independent senior judge who considers submitted information, and draws independent conclusions.
What is the purpose of the Commission of Inquiry?
As set out in the Issue of Commission (Legal Notice Number 2022.034), the purpose is for the Commissioner to inquire as he shall in his absolute discretion consider appropriate, into the reasons and circumstances leading to Mr Ian McGrail ceasing to be Commissioner of Police in June 2020 by taking early retirement.